Thursday, May 19, 2011

What's Wrong with Organic

The title of this post might seem a little weird considering I think organic food is a good choice. However, it's important to look at both sides of the equation and see what those opposed to organic food have to say.

The first argument is that buying organic food does not benefit a family because the food itself is the same, except is costs more. To buy organic milk alone for a year could cost an extra $200. Some also think that just because organic food is produced differently, doesn't mean the food itself is any different. Personally, I think organic food production makes a HUGE difference in the product. I've mentioned how awful some common food additives can be, and how inhumanely the factory food animals are treated. If that doesn't make a difference, I'm not sure what does.

Some also believe a pitfall of organic food is that it is not any better for the environment. Some foods, like milk and chicken, require more energy to produce organically, and could emit more greenhouse gases. As long a food is grown locally, though, it takes less energy to transport.

This represents the amount of miles some conventional and local foods have to travel in order to be transported. I had no idea local food made such a difference in this area. It's good to know that local and organic food saves energy in some way. I've never really bought or looked at local foods, so maybe I could visit a farmer's market and see what it's like now that I know the benefits.

Those were just a couple of the arguments people make against organic foods, and after so many months of research and discoveries, I personally disagree with them.

2 comments:

  1. Farmers markets are wonderful. I'm glad you want to go. You and I can go together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easy to overlook the cost of transportation. Now that gas has risen drastically this year and is impacting food costs, maybe folks will re-think local farmers markets. Maybe the prices will be closer due to lower transportqation costs.

    ReplyDelete