Friday, May 13, 2011

Starting Organic Week

This is the week when things are really starting to change in my house. We're switching our meats, vegetables, fruits, and dairy products all to organic. Last night, we had our first completely organic dinner, so I thought about some of the differences between that and our normal meals.

Okay, I'll admit, I can be a picky eater sometimes. But I actually liked the organic vegetables because they tasted really fresh. We also had steak and potatoes, which I thought tasted the same as their non-organic counterparts. However, it turns out that the whole meal was more nutritious because it was organic. It's been proven that organic foods are richer in vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus than non-organic foods, and also have higher levels of antioxidants. Remember when I wrote about all the harsh preservatives and food additives in many non-organic foods? People who eat organic foods have less exposure to these preservatives, which is especially important for children because they're still growing. Oh, and did I mention that organic foods have shown an improvement in taste and quality? Now things are starting to make sense!

So far,our organic switch has had postive effects. I mean, I actually liked the vegeables! I like knowing the nutritional aspects, too. Soon, I will go on a shopping trip to compare the costs of organic and non-organic foods. I want to answer a big question in this debate: how much more do people have to pay for organic food products?

2 comments:

  1. If I knew all it took was to buy organic to get Stacey to eat her vegetables, I would have done so years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish it was easier to find a good selection of organics at the local store. It seems like it has improved lately, maybe more people are buying.

    ReplyDelete